17 Nov 2011

Chocolate Brownies

I have been meaning to post this recipe for a long time as it is one of my favourite recipes and a friend of mine requested I put it up so that she can make them herself.  I discovered this recipe for chocolate brownies in my first year of university when I became friends with a girl who turned out to be a coeliac.  I am the kind of person who, if I am baking for a group of people, it has to suit everyone's needs/tastes so, even though she said she is used to missing out on cakes and it was fine for me to just make things for everyone else, I was not having any of that and I searched the internet to find a recipe which was both gluten free and delicious.  This is what I came up with;

Ingredients:
75g dark chocolate
100g butter
200g sugar
2 eggs
1tsp vanilla extract
75g ground almonds
1tsp baking powder
100g chopped walnuts

  1. Grease and line a 20cm square cake tin and preheat the oven to 180 degrees
  2. Melt the chocolate in a bowl over a pan of simmering water then take off the heat
  3. Cream the butter and sugar
  4. Mix in the eggs, vanilla and chocolate (make sure the chocolate is not too hot because otherwise it will cook the eggs and that would not be nice)
  5. Stir in the ground almonds, baking powder and walnuts making sure it is all incorporated
  6. Spoon the mixture into the tin and spread out slightly
  7. Put in the oven for 30-35 minutes
  8. Leave to cool completely before taking out of the tin and cutting up into squares
This recipe makes about 16 brownies


These brownies are deliciously gooey and chocolatey with a crisp top and slight crunch of the walnuts, if you don't like walnuts feel free to not include them, I just think they add an extra something to the mix.  They may be gluten free but personally I think they are even better than glutenous ones which is a fairly unusual occurrence, since a lot of gluten free options are not exactly amazing.  I think these ones work well because they use ground almonds instead of a substitute flour - I find I can't get on with gluten free flour.

No comments:

Post a Comment