2 Feb 2012

Vegetarian Chili


This mostly vegetarian diet that I am on is starting to grow on me.  I could never be fully vegetarian because I love meat and food in general far too much to cut it out completely but I can see that healthwise and in terms of our carbon footprint that it is a good thing to limit the amount of meat we eat, perhaps only having it once or twice a week.  None of my vegetarian recipes use meat substitutes since I don't approve of meat substitutes like quorn because I think that, if you are going to eat something that looks and tastes like meat then just eat meat.  Therefore, in this meal, to make up for the lack of meat I have added extra beans and mushrooms.

Ingredients:
1tbs vegetable oil
1 onion
2 cloves garlic
150g mushrooms
1 bell pepper
1 tin kidney beans
1 tin borlotti beans
1 stick celery
1 tin chopped tomatoes
1tbs tomato puree
2tsp chili flakes (or more if you like it spicy)
1tsp cumin
1tsp paprika
salt and pepper

Method:

  1. Finely chop the onion, mushroom, pepper and celery and crush the garlic
  2. Put a large frying pan on a medium-high heat with the oil and fry the onion and garlic until soft
  3. Add the mushrooms, pepper and celery and fry for another few minutes
  4. Add all of the beans, the chopped tomatoes, tomato puree and all of the seasoning
  5. Turn the heat down low and simmer until most of the liquid is gone
I served it with rice and sour cream but you could also do it with nachos or in tortilla wraps.  If you don't like mushrooms then you don't have to put them in, I just love them and put them in everything

1 comment:

  1. I do like a good vegetarian chilli, in fact its been a while since I made some. I think it may be on my menu this weekend to make. Mushrooms is certainly a good veg for meaty textures.

    ReplyDelete